Imagen de Szark
Desconectado/a
Magazine moderatorMagazine teamMessenger
se unió: Ene 12 2008

Ok question on the

Quote:
Submit News
Submit news to our RSS feed through the website. Or, post it here

or should that be both? I put it on the RSS feed then 2 hours later Marten put it on the Submit News forum section. If I had known to do this, I would have. But as it says OR I didn't.
Szark

Marten
Imagen de Marten
Desconectado/a
Rel.to MaintainerMessenger
se unió: Nov 8 2007

Szark,

It's my fault for not checking that it had already been posted to the news feed.

Szark
Imagen de Szark
Desconectado/a

Nanananana :P :P 21 minutes after the initial posting. Just caught it at the right time. Next question, did I do it right? :shock: :D I think I have!
Szark

Lynnutte
Desconectado/a
Forum moderatorCavern CrierMessenger
se unió: Oct 30 2007

Marten brought up the suggestion, would it be possible to archive the newsletter on the website?

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Nanouk_Metal
Desconectado/a
se unió: Mar 1 2008

You people make me mumble a lot... at times. grrrrrrr, grrrrrr.... :mrgreen:

I have made this suggestion in chats in the game but it seems to have gone unnoticed. :wink:

Why not create a special public forum where we could get the newsletter directly from our forums here and on the Moul forums ????

For easy recognition by the readers, over time, I would ID each newsletter with an easy serial number, starting at # 2008- 1.

The Grumpy Old Polar Bear.

P.S.
I still agree that the Newsletter should be emailed to people who have made a specific request.

Szark
Imagen de Szark
Desconectado/a

You tell'em (Crier)_Nanouk. Thats is a good idea Nanouk and Marten.
Szark

Lynnutte
Desconectado/a

At least we're finally listening. :P :wink:

shimmerillion
Desconectado/a
Messenger
se unió: Oct 29 2007

Forum or website section?

Shimmerillion | KI 01204798 | rel.to/gome

Lynnutte
Desconectado/a

What's the difference? I think it should be on the page that everyone who comes here sees first.

shimmerillion
Desconectado/a
Messenger

Updated the About page to include liasons:

http://messengers.sixpencemedia.com/about.php

I told Narym I had received the HTML FAQ but there was no attachment. My fault for not noticing.

Opened the library and linked the newsletter there. Affiliate liasons - please start thinking about how we can best link to your work from the Library, and let me know.

Marten
Imagen de Marten
Desconectado/a

Wow, that is really nice work shimmer! It is nice to see people's suggestions incorporated into the website...

I am reminded that I still owe some FAQ-type stuff to Narym. Oops. I will have to see what the first version of the FAQ looks like and then I will send suggestions for version 2.

Narym
Desconectado/a
se unió: Nov 20 2007

Shimmer, the file should now be in the GoMe inbox.

Also, I hasve been working on a more general FAQ, which Shimmer now has a copy of. I kinda got stuck though, and would like more ideas about what things people would likely want to know about.

Marten, any additions you have would be most welcome :P

shimmerillion
Desconectado/a
Messenger

As requested in the spam thread, I temporarily disabled the explorer news submission form because it was getting spammed. So if you have an affiliate login, please keep an eye on the thread. I'll give everyone access to post from the Uru Community channel. If you don't have an affiliate login but would like one, please shoot me a PM and I'll hook you up. ;)

Big news - thanks to Marten's help, the news submission form should now accept ampersands and equal signs! No more breaking the feed! Well, maybe I should say, no more breaking the feed from & and =! lol If anyone does find a bug with this, let me know.

I updated the About page to link to Narym's FAQ. Also added Narym's HTML how-to, currently accessible via the affiliate news submission page.

I really want to thank Narym and Marten for helping out. It's so much easier when I don't have to come up with everything, as well as implement it. :)

Marten
Imagen de Marten
Desconectado/a

I'm crossing my fingers it works, and doesn't break anything else. 8)

Lynnutte
Desconectado/a

/me big cheer for Narym and Marten!

Nanouk_Metal
Desconectado/a

Does the Forums index page need a facelift ? :lol:

I am trying to understand the philosophy behind your forums layout.

From my point of view the News related stuff is scattered all over the forums at random. :mrgreen:

Should not the GoMe Newsletter, Newsbin and Submit News be all under
a same heading ?

Is the Newsbin not the same as Submit News ? Why the duplication ? :?

Marten
Imagen de Marten
Desconectado/a
(Crier)_Nanouk wrote:
Does the Forums index page need a facelift ? :lol:

I am trying to understand the philosophy behind your forums layout.

From my point of view the News related stuff is scattered all over the forums at random. :mrgreen:

Should not the GoMe Newsletter, Newsbin and Submit News be all under
a same heading ?

Is the Newsbin not the same as Submit News ? Why the duplication ? :?

Newsletter does not need to be under the same heading; it is an area for guild work to assemble the newsletter; "Submit News" and "Newsbin" are information that goes onto the RSS feed and _may or may not_ go onto the newsletter. As I suggested before, we need to stick a pointer into the Newsletter section to the appropriate place for submitting news. Another idea that has occurred to me is that we should make Newsletter only visible to guild members since it isn't an area that non-guild members are likely to be interested in.

However, I agree that Newsbin and Submit News are redundant; I believe Newsbin was created first, requiring an account to post to it, and Submit News was created in the "Visitors" section second, as that area does not require an account to post to it. It would be a good idea to merge those two, if I understand the situation correctly.

Nanouk_Metal
Desconectado/a
Marten wrote:
...Another idea that has occurred to me is that we should make Newsletter only visible to guild members since it isn't an area that non-guild members are likely to be interested in.

However, I agree that Newsbin and Submit News are redundant; I believe Newsbin was created first, requiring an account to post to it, and Submit News was created in the "Visitors" section second, as that area does not require an account to post to it. It would be a good idea to merge those two, if I understand the situation correctly.

Yes Marten, as usual, you do understand me correctly. :mrgreen:

My idea for merging Newsbin and Submit News was for visitors to see all the latest news (in a same thread) without having to wait for the next Newsletter.

Lynnutte
Desconectado/a

I think it's a great idea. Frankly, having both has always confused me, but the final decision belongs to Shimmer.

shimmerillion
Desconectado/a
Messenger

Yes, Newsbin was created first, requiring a login. Then Submit News was created in the section that does not require a login. I'll go merge them right now! :D

shimmerillion
Desconectado/a
Messenger

FYI, Veralun is transferring the guildofmessengers.com domain over to me. So if that address is down for the next day or so, just access the site through rel.to/gome.

Tweek
Imagen de Tweek
Desconectado/a
se unió: Feb 18 2008

I was going to suggest getting an actual domain name.

I have 2 suggestions at this point (minor nitpicks I guess).

1. No tinyurls, please I like to be able to get a clue on what I am linking too before the page loads.
2. I've noticed that when I click on a link it automatically opens in a new tab for me, it's usually best not to do that and have the link open in the current tab unless the /user/ specifies otherwise.

I have also noticed that when using the RSS feed to follow a story that concerns the GoM site, the Feed url links to the GoM root site not the actual news article.

Marten
Imagen de Marten
Desconectado/a

Hey Tweek :) Glad you're visiting.

Regarding (1): The Tinyurls use was a consequence of our RSS feed breaking because it could not parse certain characters correctly. Shimmer has implemented some fixes for that, but old habits die hard, and I think the page still says to use TinyURL when submitting a URL with an = sign in it. I'll PM Shimmer and ask if she could take down that note.

I edited the Mysterium T-Shirt entry and stuck in the URL

http://www.mysterium.net/?page_id=46

and it did not break the feed though, so I am thinking that it should be OK to stop with the TinyURLs. If we find out that something breaks the feed again, I would prefer to focus on fixing the feed to work correctly rather than implementing another workaround.

Regarding (2): I see your point regarding the opening in new tabs issue... but I'm not sure it's such a big deal to me. And other sites do it... for example, the menu on the left side at the Guild of Greeters works the same way. Do you really think a lot of people will be annoyed by it?

Tweek
Imagen de Tweek
Desconectado/a
se unió: Feb 18 2008

Yeah (the GoG annoys me too)... as for whether it would annoy a lot of people I can't really say. However, upon the many web development/design blogs I read, when they do a list of "what not to do on a website" that is something that is almost always featured (along with music, or worse music with no means to turn it off).

So I'll let you read in to that as you see fit ^_^

BladeLakem
Desconectado/a
se unió: Nov 1 2007

Any word on the domain name?

Nanouk_Metal
Desconectado/a

Would it not be a good idea to have a link to our Home page somewhere at the top of the forums index page ? (for our visitors)

(This is not a joke). :cry:

I am using the Subsilver forum layout.

Marten
Imagen de Marten
Desconectado/a

It is an excellent idea. It just requires time. :)

Nanouk_Metal
Desconectado/a
(Crier)_Nanouk wrote:
Would it not be a good idea to have a link to our Home page somewhere at the top of the forums index page ? (for our visitors)

I am using the Subsilver forum layout.

Bumping up an old request. :mrgreen:

Presently: > Board index ‹ Messengers ‹ Guild Business

To: > Home < Board index < Messegers < Guild Business

Home should be a link to:

http://messengers.sixpencemedia.com/about.php

Lynnutte
Desconectado/a

Thank you for bumping this Nanouk. Shimmer is in the middle of moving to Japan, and I don't know who is her temporary replacement right now.